Wednesday, June 4, 2008

6/4/2008 – Wednesday

A week goes by quickly, especially when you are nearing the end of program. My travel to Pietermaritzburg ends this Saturday, when Dawn and I head to Johannesburg for a couple of days, then we travel to Botswana for 4-5 days with Pastors from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Botswana. Cosmos Moenga, a doctoral student at LTSP is the Bishop. Biblical Stewardship and a bit of administrative planning are on tap for the 12 hours of presentation I’ve been asked to lead.

The phone has had a lot of use in the last week. With My Mother’s surgery and now recovery, and planning for her stay in a rehabilitation facility, I’ve done a bit of calling to the US. Old family friends have provided hands on care and physical presence for mom, and have kept me informed of their perceptions of the nature of her care. Obviously she is anxious to see us.

This final week is a week of Good-byes. Until we meet again is a common experience as we have visited with a faculty family and their children, the Tonsings. Coffee was the liquid refreshment with Rob and Pam Calder, the pastor of the nearby Presbyterian church. He offered good conversation at a couple of points in my time here in PMB.

The students, starting with the six who accompanied me to the airport, are saying good-bye to in palpable ways that tug at heart strings and tear ducts. Lunch on Friday is to be a seminary event. Other faculty have stopped in the office to share a moment or two. One had me teach him how to set up a blog [I didn’t know that Internet Explorer doesn’t automatically give a tool bar in Blogspot]. He also had me do a demo for his class in powerpoint.

Dawn and I are doing day trips Museums, scenic places, Natal Lion Park [more pictures], rain today, so time was spent at the International Student Exchange Office to see what we might do with students in the future. Tomorrow is Durban and a foot or two in the Indian Ocean. Yet to come are good-bye with the Konkol’s and the Farisani’s. I am sad, but it is time to head toward home.

No comments: