Thursday, November 26, 2015


Thanksgiving I think about my elders.  My Mom would be cooking like crazy for all the family and friends to come, and my Dad would be doing everything except what my mother had asked to be done.
But this Day, I focus on the Mentors who have guided me in the Church.

Jim Gunther was a son of Annunciation Philadelphia. He was  the long time pastor at Transfiguration Lutheran Church in Harlem, NYC.  This was his final year of life and sharing his personal history as an early leader of African American Pastors from the 1950's into the 21st Century.  He served as the First African American Pastor on the Church Council, LCA.  He encouraged those who followed to "Think Globally and Work Locally."
ALLEN YOUNGBLOOD - was my first Lutheran Pastor, Mission Developer at Annunciation, Philadelphia (now Grace) and Ascension, Toledo, my home church.  He drove me to Camp Mowana, hosted me as I worked one summer as he developed Advent, Cleveland.  He was my sponsor at Ordination.

Albert (Pete) Pero was the first African American Lutheran teaching Theologian. This too was his final year among us. Active as a parish pastor in Detroit and Chicago in the 60's, he worked locally in his community for justice and social change.  His research, teaching and writing had a Global Focus as he was instrumental in the establishment of the Conference of International Black Lutherans.  He partnered with others from Africa and the Diaspora to engage in ecumenical partnership to study the theology of the Black Experience.

These are some of the Church elders who were instrumental in my formation and my work, and always encouraging me to find my way to be a part of continuing team of church leaders that "Act Locally and See Globally" the extension of all of our work in the church to the Glory of God.  I miss them all, but especially that latter two as we had unfinished work to complete.

 

No comments: