Thursday, October 11, 2018

The First Interview,,, so long ago...Winston Bone's 1980 response to his being a part of African Descent Lutheran Ministry

Winston Bone's 50th Anniversary of Ordination in Blaine, WA

Not all excursions seeking out the elders provide face to face and oral encounters. A month after a west coast trip, many on Facebook learned from Winston Bone's daughter that she was experiencing,  "...the absolute hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Watching my daddy, the kindest man in the world in hospice. I don't want to say goodbye. He has been my rock always."  In going through my old research I found a response from Winston that included a reference to Richard Stewart's work in 1980, and his own personal history, Thank you to his family for the use of a family picture.

From Winston: "I received your request of February 26, 1980, for a personal history.  I am not quite sure what kind of information you would wish.  I am enclosing some biographical information.  Please let me know if you wish more elaborate information or if you wish information of a different nature.
Also enclosed is a copy of a talk I gave to our pastors' group, the Timotheans.  As you can see, and as I stated in the paper, I drew the first part of the presentation from your project.  The latter half is based on my personal involvements.  I thought that you may be interested in seeing a copy of the paper."




Winston Bone 1980 response.

My Daddys memorial service information. You are very welcome to attend.
Saturday, 8 December at 11:30a, Cross of Christ Lutheran Church, 411 156th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA 98007
Daddy loved to mentor students into the ministry. He served on the board of several seminaries.
Memorial Gifts can be made to the Urban Theological Institute of United Lutheran Seminary to further the theological education of African American students. Please make checks out to “Urban Theological Institute” and write “Winston Bone Memorial” on the memo line. Checks can be mailed to United Lutheran Seminary, 61 Seminary Ridge, Gettysburg, PA 17325


No comments: