Tuesday, November 4, 2008

11/4/2008 – Tuesday – ELECTION DAY

Almost every day I was in South Africa, someone asked me about the Presidential politics of the US. Tonight there is a party in Grant Park in Chicago. Two days ago I watched the park personnel put up the tent and fences for a celebration. Tonight in Philadelphia, I watch the citizens of the United States elect a 44th President of African Descent. My sons, my wife, my mother have voted and witnessed an election that we did not think would happen in our lifetime.


As we watch Senator John McCain concede, we reflect on the fact that 40 years ago Grant Park was the scene of another youth movement in the political process that did not end in celebration. How times have changed. Tonight we not only dream of hope, but we see the foundation laid in HOPE. Upon this foundation, we will build change for country that is truly in need of change. Yes we can. YES, WE CAN.

No comments: