Thursday, February 14, 2008

2/14/2008 Valentine’s Day

On the day after you’ve received 100 cm of rain, 250 people had their homes destroyed in an ‘informal settlement’, [they are now in tents on a sports field], if you are a child on the campus at LTI, the sun is out and it’s hot, and you find your water pistols. Some of the students have their families with them on campus and family life goes on. One of the doctoral students after asking me if I would have time to visit Zimbabwe, went off to assist his daughter with her home work. This is a living breathing community, and like a lot of other communities it assumes that all community members know the schedule.

In good Lutheran fashion, doors are used for posting. The chapel door has the worship schedule for the opening week and for Sunday services. After preaching at the Opening service I thought I was done for a while. Yet on Tuesday evening after I finally noticed the ‘posting door’, I found myself schedule for evening worship on Wednesday night. First day of teaching with a partner, Intro to Clinical Pastoral Education, was great fun, but then to put together a service for the evening and prepare my presentation for my first solo class on Biblical Stewardship, made for an exciting day. Though I did miss the first of the School of Religion and Theology’s scheduled “Theological Café.”

Calling my valentine early for me and not quite the ‘right’ day for her, teaching solo and seeking out their expectations was quite fun. Yet as I basked in the sunlight and a week of teaching completed, I heard singing. Investigating, I found the chapel full, for it was the Thursday gathering of all the students from the SoRaT for their weekly ecumenical service. By now everyone on campus knows who the strange American is by now, and I get a lot of greetings, “Hi, Prof.” Now, the task is to review a proposal on Stewardship for one of the grad students, who is not in my class and a peer report on two articles that were written by the Principal, Dr. Farisani for LWF. Now that is a first. Peace, with a brass choir in the background.

No comments: