Thursday, February 7, 2008

2/3/2008 Sunday

Five o’clock still seems way too early to be awake, but it does create time to read, pray, and truly be awake. It’s the end of summer here and hot. On the way to church at the Presbyterian Church around the corner, men passed me with the shirts off, almost consistently it seems that they were saving the shirt for wear when they arrived. The service was much more contemporary than I expected, but the church is across the street from the university campus. It is a mixed congregation of blacks and whites, and a few Asians. They noted that they were small, but the pastor has served there for 27 years, [it helps to have the pastor’s wife sit next to you.] Some students are regulars, and they were encouraged to be on campus evangelists to invite others. Their colorful sign noting their diversity attracted me. I got an invitation to dinner with the pastor’s family. In hesitating, I asked for a date in the future.

I’m beginning to note the things I did not pack, like a couple more t-shirts, but that I can get locally. I did forget to bring Luther’s Work on CD. I may have some use for it, but then there is the library. Finished the newspaper and attacked Clinebell again, but noted on the radio that there is a report of Tiger’s win in Dubai, soccer scores from Europe and the African continent, Cricket scores from one day matches with the West Indies and the retirement of a SA Cricketer, and only a brief, I do mean brief mention of the XLII Super Bowl. It didn’t make the TV schedule. I suppose I’ll hear the score on NPR’s Morning edition. I heard Saturday’s broadcast at Midnight, after being sort of asleep for a couple of hours. So I’ll be a couple of days late, but I’ll truly miss the advertisements.

No comments: