Sunday, February 24, 2008

2/24/08 Thursday-Sunday

The nightmare begins. Well it’s a nightmare if you have been a computer geek and you are experiencing multiple virus attacks. The start was my students not being able to have their first assignment done on time. There were viruses in the computers and they couldn’t print. The LTI computers are not on the University network and are not their responsibility. Besides the fact that most of them are as old as the ones I’ve replaced, without the upgrades I gave mine. Three got cleaned and rebuilt on Thursday and Friday. But the virus had moved into the two computers connected to the University network and the printer. Just about the time I think we, that is the new student IT person and me, are finished, I lock my keys in my office. Due to some previous security issues this is the only office that does not have a skeleton key, but a pad lock. Fortunately the secretary had not gone home to the north country for the weekend and a key for my room saved me from sleeping in the cafeteria.

With a email from Dawn and my reading of the Inquirer online, I know that those in Philly have experienced a good deal of winter, so I won’t bore you with tales of needing a hat because the sun is so bright and direct. The speaking requests are now starting to come in, so I don’t know that I’ll have a slow time prior to Easter, but its nice to have had a somewhat slow entry into the community. It increased the time with students from the very beginning, rather than being related just to the faculty.

Sunday started with an on campus 8 am worship. A number of students from the University have found their way to the chapel at the seminary. Sunday School starts next Sunday afternoon. The big event for the students today was a football game in the University club leagues. [soccer] I may have a picture or two of one of the students being the center referee. This evening after he played for the seminary later in the afternoon, his walk was much slower, as were many of the students who lost on penalty kicks. [fans will know what I mean.]

Afternoon tea with the Tonsing’s, one of the faculty families, was enlightening from a German or Settler’s perspective of the theological educational delivery system that is currently in place. There is great delight in that the Methodists are planning on joining SoRaT in the next year. There seems to be a question of what does it mean for the black church to get most of its candidates from the rural areas, while development and jobs are concentrated in the cities. There is great reverence for the “home” territory, eventhough many have been away from “home” for long periods of time. The time here continues to stretch my imagination and my learnings. Salani kahle – Stay well.

No comments: